Lentils in Isabel’s way
- stew pot
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 green pepper sweet pointed pepper
- 2 leaves bay leaf
- 200 gr lentils dry, here I used the brown ones
- 1 carrot
- 2 potatoes
- 1/2 t spoon turmeric
- pepper and salt
- 2 tbl spoon olive oil
- 1 handful parsley
- Cut the onion and green pepper into small pieces. Grate the garlic clove.We now first make a "sofrito".Put the 2 tbsp olive oil in a stew pot and add the pieces of onion, garlic and green pepper. Stew this until the onion becomes transparent.
- Cut the tomato into small pieces and add it to the "sofrito" together with the bay leaves
- Rinse the lentils until the rinse water runs clear. Add the lentils to the rest and cover with water. Top up with water until it is about 2 cm above the lentils.
- Depending on the type of lentils you use (so also read the packaging), we let it simmer for 30 minutes on a low heat.
- In the meantime, we cut the carrot into slices (0.5 cm thick) and the potatoes into cubes of max. 3 cm thick.
- When the lentils have cooked for half an hour, we add the carrot and potatoes. Keep in mind that brown lentils can also turn your carrot and potato brown. I provide an extra carrot that I cook separately and use to give the dish extra color when serving.
- Season with salt, pepper and the turmeric.
- Provide a fresh green touch when serving with some extra parsley.
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Preparation is everything! “Meal prepping” ... Download and print your -Mediterranian kitchen-inspired- weekly planner including shopping list. Need inspiration?weekly organiser >