Polenta toast with tomato and quail egg
- cooking pot
- frying pan
- 120 gr polenta instant
- 400 ml vegetable broth or water + 1/2 stock cube
- 2 tea spoon dried oregano
- 35 gr grated parmesan
- salt and pepper
- 10 quail eggs
- 3 tomatoes middle sized and ripe
- ½ red onion
- 2 tbl spoon capers
- 1 tbl spoon olive oil
- 1 tea spoon nigella seeds optional
- 1 tbl spoon chives
- salt and pepper
- Let the vegetable stock boil. When it boils, lower the heat and add the instant polenta. Stir well. Also add the oregano. Keep stirring until you have a smooth but firm puree. You can add a little water if necessary. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the grated Parmesan cheese.
- I made round toasts with a metal ring. With a spoon I scooped the polenta into the ring on a baking paper, pressed it to max 1 cm thickness and carefully lifted the ring. But yes, you can also spread it on a baking paper on a plate and then cut it into squares or rectangles. Let the polenta cool and set in the fridge for +/- 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the tomatoes and cut them into fine cubes. Place them in a sieve to allow the moisture to escape. Chop the onion. Mix the diced tomatoes with the onion, olive oil, salt and pepper and the capers. Mix well.
- Remove the polenta from the refrigerator. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and place the polenta slices in it. Fry on both sides. (provide a non-stick pan)
- Fry the quail eggs. Place a generous spoonful of the tomato salad on each polenta toast. Place a quail egg on top. Garnish with chopped chives and nigella seeds.
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Preparation is everything! “Meal prepping” ... Download and print your -Mediterranian kitchen-inspired- weekly planner including shopping list. Need inspiration?weekly organiser >