“Ajo Blanco”, a fresh Spanish almond and garlic soup
- 200 gr white bread can be ol bread, no crust
- 700 ml water cold
- 2 cloves garlic
- 300 gr almonds raw, peeled
- 2 tblsp Jerez vinegar
- 200 ml olive oil
- pinch salt
- 18 white grapes fresh
- 100 gr membrillo Spanish pear marmelade (not necessary)
First we make the soup
- Take the soft insides of the bread and tear it into pieces. Put this together with the cold water in the blender and mix. Then also add the almonds, garlic, vinegar, oil and some salt. Mix until you get a homogeneous soup. Just taste and if desired, season with salt or extra vinegar.
- This soup is actually only served with white grapes. But with the arrival of the modern gastrobar and the search for innovation, people are already daring to add something else. For example, you sometimes get a mango sorbet or pieces of Jamon Serrano (= dried ham).
- Since we don't cook with meat here at home, I combined the white grapes with another typical Spanish product, the"membrillo". This is a kind of concentrated pear jam, very consistent. You can easily get balls out of this with a scoop spoon. I put them on a skewer together with the grapes and ready …
- This soup is ready quickly and very handy at a party. serve in small glasses with a few grapes and enjoy …
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Preparation is everything! “Meal prepping” ... Download and print your -Mediterranian kitchen-inspired- weekly planner including shopping list. Need inspiration?weekly organiser >