Pizza Romesco with grilled spring onions
Pizza Romesco, a dip based on tomato, hazelnuts and "ñoras", in combination with spicy crispy spring onions and feta…
- mixer / blender
- grill pan
Ingredients for the romesco:
- 2 ñoras is a Spanish dried round sweet pepper
- 2 slices bread can be old bread, the inside only
- 100 ml olive oil add extra if you need more
- 1 tbl spoon vinegar
- 40 gr hazelnuts raw and peeled
- 40 gr almonds raw and peeled
- 1 cloves garlic
- 2 guindillas mini dried chili pepper (can be replaced with 1/4 tsp chili powder)
- 3 tomatoes medium sized
- 1 t spoon sweet paprika powder
- 1 pinch salt
Ingredients for the pizza:
- 1 sheet pizza dough I used a rectangular sheet of 350 gr
- 12 spring onions cleaned
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 50 gr feta
- pepper and salt
- parsley freshly shopped
First we make the base of Romesco:
- About 6 hours in advance, make a small incision in the ñoras and let them soak in water. Then scrape the thin layer from the inside with the back of a knife. There is not much pulp but it does give flavor.
- Preheat the oven to 180º. Cut the tomatoes in half and place them cut side down on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Put them in the oven for 30 minutes.
- 15 minutes before the time has elapsed, place the garlic cloves and nuts in the oven as well. This way the garlic can cook a bit and it becomes less spicy. The nuts will toast. You can toast the nuts separately in a pan over a low heat, if wanted.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven, let cool. You can now easily remove the tomato pulp from the skin.
- In a blender / cutter you put all the ingredients: pulp of the ñoras, tomato (skinless), nuts, olive oil, vinegar, guindillas or chili powder, garlic, salt and the inside of the bread. Mix everything into a homogeneous sauce. If it is too consistent, you can add a little water or extra oil. Taste and season if necessary.
Prepairing the pizza:
- Unroll the pizza dough. I rolled up the sides a little bit. Place a baking paper with baking pearls on it and bake for 10 minutes in a preheated oven at 180º. (I almost always pre-bake the dough…
- Remove from the oven and brush with a generous layer of the Romesco sauce.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill pan. Once warm, add the spring onions and let them grill for 10 minutes. (check every now and then to make sure they don't get too grilled)
- Place these grilled spring onions on the pizza. Crumble the feta cheese on top. Cut the cherry tomatoes into wedges and place them on top as well. Season with salt and/or pepper if desired
- Now put the pizza in the oven at 180º (preheated) for 12 minutes. Finished…
Romesco is a dip / sauce that is mainly known in Catalonia. Calçots (spring onions) are grilled on the BBQ and eaten with this Romesco sauce. It has been proven that this combination is also delicious on pizza.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Preparation is everything! “Meal prepping” ... Download and print your -Mediterranian kitchen-inspired- weekly planner including shopping list. Need inspiration?weekly organiser >
Leave a Reply