White asparagus soup with basil and coconut cream
- cooking pot
- vegetable peeler
- 1 kg white asparagus
- 500 ml vegetable broth
- 250 ml cocos cream (not milk)
- 1 leek only the white part
- 1 onion
- 20 gr fresh basil only the leaves
- 2 tbl spoon olive oil
- white pepper
- We are going to peel the asparagus with a vegetable peeler. Start about 3 cm below the top and peel it to the bottom. Go around peeling twice. Now cut about 3 cm away from the bottom. This is the woody part of the asparagus.Cut off the tops (about 3 cm) and keep them separately.
- Cut the onion into pieces and the leek into rings. Put the oil in a cooking pot and sauté both the onion and the leek. After 3 minutes add the vegetable stock and the cut asparagus. (not the tops) Let this boil for 15 minutes. Season with the white pepper and salt.Turn off the heat. Add the washed basil leaves and the coconut cream and mix into a fine soup. Taste if the seasoning is good.
- In a separate cooking pot, we bring 500 ml of salted water to the boil. Once the water has boiled, we blanch the asparagus tips that we have kept separately for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and let them drain and put them for a moment in ice cold water.
- If needed, heat the soup again but don't let it cook! Serve the soup warm and garnish with the white asparagus tips and a few basil leaves.
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Preparation is everything! “Meal prepping” ... Download and print your -Mediterranian kitchen-inspired- weekly planner including shopping list. Need inspiration?weekly organiser >