Tartar of smoked salmon, orange and avocado
- sharp knife
- 300 gr smoked salmon fillet
- 1 avocado
- 1 orange
- ½ cooked beetroot
- 1 spicy small red pepper
- 2 tbl spoon honey
- pinch black pepper
- ½ lime juice
- pinch salt
- 1 tbl spoon olive oil
- 1½ tbl spoon yogurt
- pinch white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon spicy red pepper powder
- ½ red onion
- 2 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoon salmon or lumpfish eggs
- 1 tablespoon chives
- I prepare the different layers separately and then build the turret. We start with the salmon:
- Cut the salmon fillet into cubes of 5 mm x 5 mm, so as small as possible. Don't do this with regular slices of salmon because you can't cut a tartar from it and you will get a sloppy result. Cut the red onion into as fine cubes as possible. Now mix the salmon, red onion, yogurt, spicy paprika powder and the capers together and season with some freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Cut the peel from the orange. (I do that by first cutting off the head and end and then cutting from top to bottom just below the skin.) Then cut out the parts between the membranes so that you have nice wedges. Cut these wedges into 3 pieces and let them drain in a colander. Mix the pieces with the honey and finely chopped red pepper. Set aside. Let it drain for a while before using.
- Remove the skin and pit from the avocado. Cut it into small cubes. Mix the cubes with the olive oil, lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut thin slices of the cooked beetroot.Take a metal ring (for building the tower). Start with the avocado mixture. Place about 2 cm of the mixture and press down well with the back of a spoon. On top of that you put a layer of the beetroot slices. Then a layer of +/- 2 cm orange mixture. (let them drain well before using). The last layer is the mixture of smoked salmon. Again, press well with the back of a spoon.For the presentation I finished it off with a spoonful of fish eggs and shredded chives.Now gently raise the ring and a beautiful dish appears… Let it taste!
Download my E-book
This booklet is my culinary ode to the Mediterranean cuisine; a collection of flavors and aromas that embody my passion for cooking, intended to inspire or enrich both the experienced chef and the home cook with the simplicity and purity of Mediterranean tastes. Easy recipes, accessible to everyone, and with a broad palette of flavors.Order here
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay informed about the latest news and amazing recipes.