“Torrijas”, the spanish version of French toast
- large deep dish
- deep frying pan
- milk pan
- 1 baguette sufficiently firm on the inside, not too light. Preferably old bread
- 500 ml milk
- 1/2 peel of orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbl spoon honey
- 2 flowers star anise
- 2 eggs
- pinch salt
- 5 tbl spoon white sugar I used birch sugar instead of granulated sugar
- 200 ml olive oil depending the size of the pan, there should be +/- 1 cm of oil in the pan
First we flavor the milk
- Heat in a little pan the milk, and add the orange peel, honey, star anise and cinnamon. Let the milk come to a boil and then turn off the heat. Let cool down and pour it all through a sieve.
- Cut the baguette into slices about 2 cm thick. (You can do this the night before. I usually put the slices of bread outside in the sun for an hour.) Then place them next to each other in the deep dish.
- Pour the milk over the bread slices. Turn them over carefully.
- Put the olive oil in the frying pan and put on the fire. Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt.When the oil is warm, remove the slices of bread one by one from the milk and roll them through the egg. Carefully place in the hot oil. Fry them for about 2-3 minutes on each side. They should have a golden brown color.
- Then take them out of the pan and let them cool down on kitchen paper. Put the sugar in a plate and roll the baked rolls through it.
- There are different variations of how to eat these sweet buns. With, for example, sugar or honey.
Download my E-book
This booklet is my culinary ode to the Mediterranean cuisine; a collection of flavors and aromas that embody my passion for cooking, intended to inspire or enrich both the experienced chef and the home cook with the simplicity and purity of Mediterranean tastes. Easy recipes, accessible to everyone, and with a broad palette of flavors.Order here
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay informed about the latest news and amazing recipes.