Gazpacho “Andaluz”, a cold summer soup
Gazpacho is a classic one in Spanish gastronomy! This ice-cold soup of raw vegetables contains many vitamins, and is also thirst-quenching and hunger-satisfying…
- 4 tomatoes large ripe ones, I used a mix of tomatoes on the vine and plum tomatoes
- 220 gr cucumber peeled
- 1/4 onion
- 60 gr green pointed pepper green sweet Italian pointed pepper (you can also use the red sweet pointed pepper)
- 1 slice bread use only the white part, no crust
- 1 clove garlic
- 200 ml water
- 2 tbl spoon olive oil
- 1 tbl spoon vinegar I used white vinegar, but wine vinegar is also possible. I don't like too much vinegar (which they sometimes use liberally in a restaurant)
- Remove the skin from the tomatoes. (You can do this easily if you blanch them for a minute in boiling water). Cut them into rough pieces.
- Remove the seeds from the pepper and cut into pieces. Peel the cucumber and cut into pieces as well as the onion.
- Remove the crust from the slice of bread.
- Now add everything together in the blender: tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, onion, bread, garlic, water, olive oil, vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- Blend everything for a few minutes to a fine soup. Taste and if desired you can add an extra dash of vinegar or some salt.
- This soup is often drunk in the summer in a glass, so we're going to pour it through a sieve. With the back of a ladle and circular movements you can push the pulp through the sieve. This way, larger pieces will remain in the sieve.
- Pour the soup into a bottle or pitcher, refrigerate and serve cold.
- To provide some extra garnish, I cut an extra piece of cucumber and pepper into very fine pieces.
During the warm summer months, this soup is often drunk from a glass. In Andalusia almost every restaurant has this on its menu. An absolute fixture in Spanish cuisine.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Preparation is everything! “Meal prepping” ... Download and print your -Mediterranian kitchen-inspired- weekly planner including shopping list. Need inspiration?weekly organiser >
Leave a Reply