Grilled prawns with garlic mayonnaise
- grillpan or BBQ
- hand blender
- 16 prawns big size
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 tbl spoon coriander fresh chopped
- ½ tea spoon chili flakes
- coarse salt
- 2 tbl spoon olive oil
- 1 lemon
The garlic mayonnaise:
- 1 egg
- ½ clove garlic
- 160 ml olive oil
- ¼ lemon only the juice
- pinch salt
Prepare the garlic mayonnaise:
- Garlic: I only use 1/2 clove of garlic because fresh raw garlic can be very pungent and sometimes too spicy.The egg: it is best to use this at room temperature, otherwise the mayonnaise may curdle.If you have a hand blender, you probably also have the narrow high mixing cup? The idea is that you have a tall cup that is slightly wider than the head of your hand blender.Put all the ingredients for the mayonnaise in the cup. Place your hand blender flat on the bottom and start mixing. Keep him still for +/- 1 minute. You will see a stiff mass forming. Then you gently go up and down with the mixer until all the oil has been processed. Spoon the mayonnaise into a container, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Prepare the prawns:
- Buy whole king prawns, including head and tail.Rinse them under cold water and pat dry. With a knife, make an incision on the back from the head to the tail. Now remove the intestinal tract with a knife or fork.Chop the garlic or cut into fine slices. Mix the olive oil with the chilli flakes, garlic, 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander and a pinch of salt.Drizzle the prawns with this oil. I make sure that this herbal oil is also in the cut open back by use of a spoon or brush.
- Now you can grill the prawns on the BBQ or in a grill pan. The cooking time of prawns is short, especially because we cut them open on the back. Turn them over after a few minutes. You will see the skin turn white and the flesh become glossy white. As soon as the flesh no longer appears transparent, they are ready..
- Serve warm, sprinkle with a little more coarse salt and the rest of the coriander and add a few lemon wedges.
Download my E-book
This booklet is my culinary ode to the Mediterranean cuisine; a collection of flavors and aromas that embody my passion for cooking, intended to inspire or enrich both the experienced chef and the home cook with the simplicity and purity of Mediterranean tastes. Easy recipes, accessible to everyone, and with a broad palette of flavors.Order here
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay informed about the latest news and amazing recipes.