Spicy carrot croquettes with anise seeds
Surprisingly tasty croquettes with a breading crust full of herbs, an ideal snack or appetizer…
- deep pan
- cutter / mixer
- 50 gr flour
- 50 gr butter unsalted
- 250 ml lukewarm milk whole milk
- 90 gr grated carrot fresly grated
- salt and pepper
- 80 gr bread-crumbs
- 1½ t spoon anise seeds
- 1 t spoon spicy red pepper powder
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbl spoon mayonnaise
- 4 anchovies
- black pepper
Prepare the filling:
- First we melt the butter over a low heat. Add the flour and mix everything well with a spatula. It is the basis for a hearty roux. Let it simmer (max 1 minute)
- Remove the pan from the heat and gently add the lukewarm milk. Stir well with the whisk until you get a homogeneous mass.
- Return to a lower heat, season with salt and pepper and add the raw grated carrot. Keep stirring with the spatula until you have a firm mass. Place the filling in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Scoop a little filling with a spoon and roll with your hands into a ball of about 4 cm. Roll this ball first through the breadcrumbs, then through the egg and again through the breadcrumbs. Place them on a plate and repeat until the filling is used. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the paprika powder, the aniseeds and the saltBeat the two eggs.
Prepare the mayo:
- With the mixer or blender, mix the mayonnaise, anchovies and black pepper into a smooth sauce.
Spicy carrot croquettes, a recipe of mine that was published in the Foodies monthly magazine. A snack of which that you can never make enough of. A surprising combination of carrot and anise that combine wonderfully. My family and friends think they are super tasty and I am now often asked if I want to prepare those “special” croquettes again…
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Preparation is everything! “Meal prepping” ... Download and print your -Mediterranian kitchen-inspired- weekly planner including shopping list. Need inspiration?weekly organiser >
Leave a Reply