Figs jam with ginger and clove
- 2 kg figs fresh
- 2 cm ginger fresh
- 25 cloves
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 vanilla stick
- 1 package agar agar read the instructons
- Wash / rinse the figs under running water and remove the hard stalks. Cut them into small pieces. I leave the skin because it provides even more structure and fiber and I like pieces in the jam. If desired, you can remove the peel. At a later stage we mix the jam a bit and then you decide for yourself what structure you want.
- Put the figs in a wide low cooking pot and turn on the heat (low heat). Stir frequently. Since figs already contain a lot of sugars, I do not add extra sugar. If you want it sweeter, you now have to add a few spoonfuls of sugar. But be aware that adding sugar makes it less healthier…
- Squeeze the lemon and add the juice to the figs. Halve the vanilla stick in the length and scrape out the seeds. Add them to the figs. Grate the ginger and add to the figs as well. Stir the mixture well. Empty a teabag, put in the cloves in and tie tightly with the string. Mix it under the figs. Let everything simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the bag with the cloves. With a hand blender, you can now mix the jam more finely if you do not want any pieces.
- Dissolve the agar agar in a little water (read the instructions) and add it to the jam. Let it simmer for a few minutes while stirring. Turn off the heat.
- Spoon the jam into the glass jars. Make sure you have just sterilized them together with their lid (10 minutes in boiling water). Tighten the lid securely and turn them upside down. Allow to cool. After a few hours you put them right side up in the fridge.
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Preparation is everything! “Meal prepping” ... Download and print your -Mediterranian kitchen-inspired- weekly planner including shopping list. Need inspiration?weekly organiser >
Een etentje met vrienden of famillie? Zorg voor extra zuiderse sfeer en beluister mijn -SECRETOS DEL SUR- Spotify list” (dank aan DJ Beatz voor de finetuning)