A simple but deliciously tasty salad. I add a little bit of homemade pesto dressing, in combination with balsamic syrup or Pedro Ximenez syrup. Make sure you use tasty ripe tomatoes, then everything tastes twice as good.
to prepare the pesto
- 1 clove garlic If you don't like the sharpness of garlic than first cook them a few minutes
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 50 gram basil use fresh basil but dry leaves
- 20 gram Parmesan cheese grated
- 20 gram pine nuts lightly toasted
- 3 tbl spoon olive oil
- 1 tbl spoon lemon juice depends on your taste…
- 3 medium tomatoes preferably ripe
- 10 leaves basil
- 125 gr Mozzarella one whole piece
- 2 tbl spoon olive oil
- 1 tbl spoon balsamico or Pedro Ximenez syrup
- black pepper and seasalt
to make the pesto
- In a mortar, mash the garlic clove and pine nuts. Add the rest of the ingredients for the pesto and work everything in the mortar until you get a smooth paste. If you use an electric cutter, be careful that the blades do not get too hot. Otherwise the pesto will turn into a more brown color…
- Cut the tomatoes into 3-5 mm slices and divide them over a plate. Cut the mozzarella into 3 mm thick slices and place them over the tomatoes. I like to just tear the Mozzarella apart and divide it into pieces over the salad. Add some extra basil leaves. Put some of the pesto over the salad. Cover with a bit off olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
I serve this salad in different ways. Sometimes as a lunch salad with a nice piece of fresh wholemeal bread, but usually in combination with, for example, a vegetable or herb omelet. That will make a complete dish…
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Preparation is everything! “Meal prepping” ... Download and print your -Mediterranian kitchen-inspired- weekly planner including shopping list. Need inspiration?weekly organiser >
Leave a Reply