Cod with butter beans, tomato and garlic
- deep pan
- cooking pot
- 250 gr butter beans dry giant beans
- 1 onion
- 500 gr cherry tomatoes
- 2 bulb garlic entire bulb
- 2 tbl spoon olive oil
- 150 ml water
- 600 g fresh cod with skin
- 1 tea spoon oregano
- ½ tea spoon sweet paprika powder
- 5 leaves laurel
- ½ tea spoon spicy paprika powder
- 10 g parsley
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the cherry tomatoes. Grate the onion to obtain a pulp. Keep the garlic bulbs whole, only cutting off the top part. Put 2 tbsp olive oil in a deep pan and add the onion. After simmering for 2 minutes, add the tomatoes and the 2 garlic bulbs. Season with the oregano, sweet and spicy paprika powder and salt and pepper. Add the bay leaves. Place a lid on the pan and let it simmer gently for 10 minutes. Then add 150 ml of water.
- I use dry giant butter beans for this dish. I bought these in Segovia during our trip through Spain. Before cooking, they stood in a pot of water for 12 hours. Then I let them cook for 90 minutes together with 2 bay leaves and a little salt. You can simmer them in a stew for up to 3 hours, they then become very soft. Personally, I like them to still have a bit of structure, so for me 90 minutes is sufficient. Place in a colander and let it drain.If you buy cooked beans from a can or jar, you add them to your dish at the end, you do not have to cook them in advance.
- Add the white butter beans to the tomatoes, stir and taste. If necessary, add some more seasoning. Cut the cod into pieces +/- 5 cm and place them in the pan between the tomato and the beans. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Place the lid on the pan and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- This way you have a simple but tasty and high protein dish. A one-pan pot with a Mediterranean twist.
More delicious bean recipes:
Download my E-book
This booklet is my culinary ode to the Mediterranean cuisine; a collection of flavors and aromas that embody my passion for cooking, intended to inspire or enrich both the experienced chef and the home cook with the simplicity and purity of Mediterranean tastes. Easy recipes, accessible to everyone, and with a broad palette of flavors.Order here
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay informed about the latest news and amazing recipes.