Baked quinoa with saffron and basil yogurt
Quinoa is a seed that is grown in Peru and Bolivia. It contains high protein content and is gluten-free. It is definitely recommended to alternate quinoa with rice or other cereals.
- 150 gr quinoa dry
- 250 gr snap beans green beans
- 100 gr peas frozen, I never use canned tin
- 1 red pointed pepper
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 125 gr greek yogurt
- 1 handfull fresh basil
- 8 gr saffron
- 500 ml vegetable broth
- 3 tblspoon olive oil
- pepper and salt
- Boil the quinoa in the vegetable broth until “al dente”. Let it leak and cool down.
- Wash the snap beans, the pepper and the basil under running water. Take the ends of the beans (we do not use them) and cut them into pieces of +/- 3 cm. The red peppers are cut into 0.3 mm rings. Chop the garlic and the basil.
- Boil the beans in a little salted water. (First boil the water and then add the beans to keep their green color.) After 5-7 minutes they are “al dente”. (Try one). Let them leak and cool down.
- Take a deep pan and add 1 tablespoon of oil and the chopped garlic, stir and fry. Add the extra 2 tablespoons of olive oil together with red pepper, beans and peas. Simmer and add the quinoa. Use some extra olive oil and if necessary some water to bake the quinoa. Add the saffron and season with pepper and salt.
- Mix the sliced basil with the greek yogurt and add this to the dish.
We like it when the quinoa gets a crust at the bottom during baking … I combine this dish with a papillote of hake or cod.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Preparation is everything! “Meal prepping” ... Download and print your -Mediterranian kitchen-inspired- weekly planner including shopping list. Need inspiration?weekly organiser >
Leave a Reply