Delicious fresh lemon cake with lemon icing
The best lemon cake ever … Lemons are indispensable in Mediterranean cuisine and if you can also pick them from your own trees, everything will be even better …
- kitchen scale
- 200 gr flour
- 10 gr yeast dry yeast
- 150 gr sugar I have used birch sugar
- 8 gr vanilla sugar 1 little bag
- 50 gr olive oil neutral taste, not too strong
- 125 gr gesmolten boter
- 85 gr lemon juice about 2 medium sized lemons
- 3 eggs
- 1 tspoon baking soda
- zest of 1 lemon
- 125 gr icing sugar
- 2 tblspoon lemon juice
- 1 lemon to decorate
- mint leaves to decorate
- Heat the oven to 170º
- First we mix all the dry ingredients such as the flour, sugar, yeast, baking soda, salt and vanilla sugar.
- Melt the butter over low heat. Don't let it get too hot, just melt.
- Beat the eggs with the hand mixer. Then mix them with the oil, melted butter, lemon juice and zest.
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread a baking pan with oil or butter and pour in the dough. Make sure the dough is not higher than +/- 1.5 cm below the edge because the cake will rise during baking. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 40 – 45 minutes at 170º. Then check with a skewer whether the cake is done inside. (It is fully baked when no dough sticks to the skewer) Let it cool down.
Making the icing
- Put a small pan on a low heat and add the lemon juice and sugar. Mix well until you have a homogeneous, slightly liquid syrup. Pour this over the cooled cake.
- As an extra decoration I baked and sugared fine slices of lemon so that they caramelize a little. Extra mint leaves provide a fresh green touch.
I have already baked a lot of lemon cakes and so several recipes have already preceded. But this one has a nice intense taste and the lemon icing together with the mint provide a fresh touch. Usually I make it on a Sunday morning and by Monday it is completely gone … He seems to evaporate 😉
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Preparation is everything! “Meal prepping” ... Download and print your -Mediterranian kitchen-inspired- weekly planner including shopping list. Need inspiration?weekly organiser >
Leave a Reply