Delicious fresh lemon cake with lemon icing
- kitchen scale
- 200 gr flour
- 10 gr yeast dry yeast
- 150 gr sugar I have used birch sugar
- 8 gr vanilla sugar 1 little bag
- 50 gr olive oil neutral taste, not too strong
- 125 gr gesmolten boter
- 85 gr lemon juice about 2 medium sized lemons
- 3 eggs
- 1 tspoon baking soda
- zest of 1 lemon
- 125 gr icing sugar
- 2 tblspoon lemon juice
- 1 lemon to decorate
- mint leaves to decorate
- Heat the oven to 170º
- First we mix all the dry ingredients such as the flour, sugar, yeast, baking soda, salt and vanilla sugar.
- Melt the butter over low heat. Don't let it get too hot, just melt.
- Beat the eggs with the hand mixer. Then mix them with the oil, melted butter, lemon juice and zest.
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread a baking pan with oil or butter and pour in the dough. Make sure the dough is not higher than +/- 1.5 cm below the edge because the cake will rise during baking. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 40 – 45 minutes at 170º. Then check with a skewer whether the cake is done inside. (It is fully baked when no dough sticks to the skewer) Let it cool down.
Making the icing
- Put a small pan on a low heat and add the lemon juice and sugar. Mix well until you have a homogeneous, slightly liquid syrup. Pour this over the cooled cake.
- As an extra decoration I baked and sugared fine slices of lemon so that they caramelize a little. Extra mint leaves provide a fresh green touch.
Download my E-book
This booklet is my culinary ode to the Mediterranean cuisine; a collection of flavors and aromas that embody my passion for cooking, intended to inspire or enrich both the experienced chef and the home cook with the simplicity and purity of Mediterranean tastes. Easy recipes, accessible to everyone, and with a broad palette of flavors.Order here
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay informed about the latest news and amazing recipes.