Puff pastry wafers with Mozzarella and tomato pesto
Nothing is as simple as savory waffles made from puff pastry. This combination received 5 stars from my family. They disappeared like snow under the sun.
- waffle iron
- round shape for cutting
- cutter / blender
- 1 sheet puff pastry rectangular
- 6 dried tomatoes
- 3 cherry tomatoes
- 20 gr Mozzarella
- 2 tbl spoon pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbl spoon olive oil
- 1 tbl spoon chives fresh
- 10 leave basil fresh
- salt and pepper
Make the tomato pesto first:
- Rinse the fresh tomatoes and halve them. Place these in the cutter together with the dried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, pine nuts, Mozzarella and basil. Mix until you get a fine pesto/tapenade.
- Chop the chives. Mix this with the pesto. Season with salt and pepper
- Leave the puff pastry in the refrigerator for as long as possible (or put it in the freezer for 30 minutes), which makes it easier to work with. Cut circles of +/- Ø8 cm with a round shape. I was able to cut 12.
- Place a disk of puff pastry on a plate. Spoon a spoonful of the pesto on top and cover with another disk of puff pastry. Do this also with the rest of the puff pastry.
- Heat your waffle iron. Brush a little oil on both baking trays. Place a filled puff pastry in the middle and close your waffle iron. Depending on your device (check occasionally) it will need to bake for about 2-3 minutes.Place on a plate and keep warm in the oven. Repeat this with the remaining puff pastry discs.
- You can serve these as tapas together with, for example, tzatziki or a tasty garlic sauce. My children also take them cold to school as a snack.
Download my E-book
This booklet is my culinary ode to the Mediterranean cuisine; a collection of flavors and aromas that embody my passion for cooking, intended to inspire or enrich both the experienced chef and the home cook with the simplicity and purity of Mediterranean tastes. Easy recipes, accessible to everyone, and with a broad palette of flavors.Order here
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay informed about the latest news and amazing recipes.