Pumpkin and chickpea tagine
Pumpkin tagine recipe
- tagine or stew
- cooking pot
- ½ butternut squash
- 300 gr chickpeas pre cooked
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 350 ml vegetable broth
- 3 dates big medjoul
- 2 tea spoon Ras El Hanout
- 1 tea spoon cinnamon
- 1 tea spoon rose harissa optional
- 4 tbl spoon raw almonds
- 1 tea spoon cumin seeds
- 2 tbl spoon olive oil
- 250 gr greek yogurt
- 3 tbl spoon coriander chopped
- ½ lemon
- Peel the pumpkin and cut it into cubes of +/- 2 x 2 cm. Peel the red onion and cut it in half and then into thin slices. Chop the garlic cloves. Rinse the chickpeas (if from a can or jar). Toast the almonds in a pan until they start to brown. Chop the fresh cilantro.
- Make the yogurt by mixing it with 1 tablespoon of shredded fresh coriander and the juice of ¼ lemon.
- Put the olive oil in the tagine. On a low fire we will first let the onion and garlic cook. When you put the lid on the tagine, all aromas and moisture remain inside the pan. After about 2 minutes, remove the lid and add the pumpkin, dates, Ras el Hanout, cinnamon and rose harissa. Now let this cook for another 2 minutes on a low heat. Then add the broth and the cumin seeds, stir well. Put the lid on the tagine and let it stew for a total of 20 minutes. Now and then you open the tagine and stir everything well together.
- For the couscous we let water boil together with 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt. When the water boils, turn off the heat and add the couscous. Put the lid on the pot and let it steep for 5 minutes. Done.
- When the pumpkin is ready, add the chickpeas. Let everything warm up well. Remove the lid, sprinkle the coriander on top and spoon the yoghurt into the center of the tagine. Now don't stir anymore. Serve with the couscous.
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Preparation is everything! “Meal prepping” ... Download and print your -Mediterranian kitchen-inspired- weekly planner including shopping list. Need inspiration?weekly organiser >
Een etentje met vrienden of famillie? Zorg voor extra zuiderse sfeer en beluister mijn -SECRETOS DEL SUR- Spotify list” (dank aan DJ Beatz voor de finetuning)