Stuffed zucchini with vegetarian bolognese
The basis of this dish consists of courgettes, which are carefully hollowed out. I have chosen round zucchini or bulb zucchini here, but you can just as well take the elongated one. However, I think the effect of the hat on the round is a nice aspect. The filling is made with fresh vegetables such as spring onion, carrot and tomato, together with vegetarian minced meat. This mixture is then flavored with garlic, passata, parsley, herbs and a little soya, creating a deep, complex flavor that will surprise even the most dedicated meat lovers.
- stew pot
- frying pan
- 4 round zucchini or 2 elongated
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 carrot
- 2 spring onion
- 300 gr vegetarian minced meat
- 1 tbl spoon soy sauce
- 200 ml passata
- 1 tbl spoon flat leave parsley
- 3 tbl spoon olive oil
- ½ cube vegetable broth
- 100 gr grated cheese
- Rinse the tomatoes and zucchini. Scrape the carrot clean. Now cut the tomatoes, carrot and garlic into small pieces. The spring onions in fine rings. Chop the fresh parsley.
- Put 1 tbsp olive oil in a stew and fry the garlic together with the carrot. After 3 minutes add the tomatoes and spring onions. Place the lid on the pot and let it simmer gently for about 3 minutes. Then add the passata and the chopped parsley.
- If you bought round zucchini, cut off the top and hollow them out with a spoon. Leave a 5mm wall. I freeze the flesh to add to a soup later. Then sprinkle the zucchini with some oil and season with salt and pepper. If you bought long zucchini, cut them in half lengthwise and scrape out the flesh with a spoon.
- In a frying pan, put 1 tbsp olive oil and the vegetarian minced meat. I fry this separately with 1 tbsp soy sauce and season it with pepper. When the minced meat is fried, I add it to the sauce with vegetables. Mix well.
- Preheat your oven to 200º.Place/put the zucchini in an oven dish.Fill the zucchini with the vegetarian minced mixture and sprinkle some grated cheese over it.Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes at 180º.
- I served this dish with white rice, cooked in coconut milk and mixed with coriander and pistachios (an Asian touch but we like fusion…)
Are you a stuffed zucchini lover?
Download my E-book
This booklet is my culinary ode to the Mediterranean cuisine; a collection of flavors and aromas that embody my passion for cooking, intended to inspire or enrich both the experienced chef and the home cook with the simplicity and purity of Mediterranean tastes. Easy recipes, accessible to everyone, and with a broad palette of flavors.Order here
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay informed about the latest news and amazing recipes.