Zucchini rolls in tomato sauce with spinach and Mozzarella
- wide peeler
- stewing pan
- 1+½ zucchini
- 500 gr spinach fresh
- 2 tbl spoon olive oil
- 1 pinch spicy red pepper powder
- ½ tea spoon thyme
- pepper and salt
- 1 tbl spoon pine nuts
Ingredients tomato sauce
- 4 tomatoes ripe
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 300 ml passata tomato sauce
- 120 gr Mozzarella
- 5 black olives
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbl spoon olive oil
- pepper and salt
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Preheat the oven to 180º.Take a deep casserole. Wash the spinach. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the pan and sauté the spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Once the leaves have wilted, squeeze out the excess water and let it drain further in a sieve.
To make the tomato sauce:
- Chop the onion. Cut the tomatoes into small cubes.Put the olive oil in a pan and fry the onion. After a minute, add the crushed garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent.Add the diced tomatoes and thyme sprigs, stir well and put a lid on the pan. Let it simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes.Finely chop the black olives. Add this to the tomatoes along with the passata. Season with salt and pepper and let it simmer for another minute.
To make the zucchini rolls:
- Use a vegetable peeler to cut thin slices of the zucchini lengthwise. You need about 20 in total.Make a herbal oil with the olive oil, thyme, spicy paprika, pepper and salt. Pass the courgette strands through this so that they are well seasoned. Lay out one zucchini strip, scoop 1 tablespoon of the spinach on top and roll up. Repeat with every other one.
- Cut the Mozzarella into pieces and spoon it through the tomato sauce. Put the sauce in an oven dish and put the zucchini rolls in it.
- Toast the pine nuts, sprinkle them over the zucchini rolls and grate fresh parmesan cheese on top.
- Put in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Preparation is everything! “Meal prepping” ... Download and print your -Mediterranian kitchen-inspired- weekly planner including shopping list. Need inspiration?weekly organiser >
Een etentje met vrienden of famillie? Zorg voor extra zuiderse sfeer en beluister mijn -SECRETOS DEL SUR- Spotify list” (dank aan DJ Beatz voor de finetuning)