Orzo pasta with endive and spicy salmon balls
- deep pan
- cooking pot
- cutter / blender
- frying pan
- 400 gr orzo pasta
- 6 heads endive fresh
- 10 gr parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbl spoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
Ingredients to prepare the salmon balls:
- 500 gr salmon fillet fresh
- 50 gr smoked salmon
- 2 tbl spoon bread-crumbs
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ onion
- 10 gr coriander fresh
- 2 tbl spoon olive oil
- 1 tea spoon Ras El Hanout moroccan spices
- salt and pepper
First we start making the salmon balls:
- Cut the skinless salmon fillet into pieces of 2 x 2 cm.Cut 50 g smoked salmon into pieces. Chop the onion and coriander.Place the fresh salmon, smoked salmon, onion, coriander, ras el hanout and 1 tbsp olive oil in the chopper and mix until a finer mass is obtained.Remove this from the chopper and place in a mixing bowl. Now mix in the breadcrumbs and egg yolk with your hands. Season some more with salt and pepper.
- Now roll balls of +/-4 cm. I could make 25 with these quantities.Place a saucepan on the stove and when the water boils, carefully place the meatballs in it. Let them cook for about 3 minutes. Pour them through a colander and let cool slightly.
- Remove the outer leaves from the endive heads and cut about 2-3 cm from the hard part at the bottom. Cut the rest of the stems into strips of about 1 cm. Grate the garlic clove and chop the parsley.
- Put a tablespoon of olive oil in a deep pan and stew the endive. Allow most of the moisture to disappear (so do not cover with a lid). After about 5 minutes, add the garlic and parsley and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Pour over the coconut milk.
- In the meantime, place a saucepan on the heat with water to cook the orzo until done. I add 1 tbsp olive oil to the cooking water. Orzo is often ready after just 5 minutes of cooking. Put the pasta through a colander. Add the pasta to the endive and mix everything well.
- We are going to sear the salmon balls a little in a pan. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and fry the salmon balls until they start to brown slightly.Serve the salmon balls together with the orzo or separately if desired. Sprinkle some extra parsley over it and enjoy!
If you love the combination of pasta with endive or looking for some extra orzo recipes?
Download my E-book
This booklet is my culinary ode to the Mediterranean cuisine; a collection of flavors and aromas that embody my passion for cooking, intended to inspire or enrich both the experienced chef and the home cook with the simplicity and purity of Mediterranean tastes. Easy recipes, accessible to everyone, and with a broad palette of flavors.Order here
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay informed about the latest news and amazing recipes.