Salmorejo, a typical dish from Córdoba, Andalucia
- mixer / blender
- 1 kg tomatoes The important thing is that they are ripe! I have used two varieties, vine tomatoes and Monte Rosa.
- 180 gr breadcrumbs only the soft white part of a fresh bread
- 120 ml olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 60 ml water (if necessary, should it be too consistent)
- 2 eggs hard boiled
- 2 slices bread to make crusts
- First we are going to peel the tomatoes. However, this is not necessary if you have a powerful blender or mixer. Put a pot of water on the heat and let it boil. Make a light slit in the tomatoes with a knife. Place them in the boiling water for one minute and then in cold water. Now you can easily remove the skin.
- Cut the tomatoes into large pieces.Remove the soft white inner part of the bread and tear into pieces.
- Now add the tomatoes, bread, olive oil, garlic and a pinch of salt together in the blender and mix until you get a smooth homogeneous and creamy soup. Taste and add some extra salt or water if it is too consistent.
- Boil the eggs in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove them from their shell and crush with a fork.
- Cut the bread slices into small dice. Put some olive oil in a pan and fry the crusts until golden brown.
- Normally the soup is served with crumbled egg and pieces of dried ham. But because we don't eat meat here at home, I made a version with fried crusts…
- The soup should be served cold, so, if needed cool it in the fridge for a while…
Looking for more recipes for cold soups?
Download my E-book
This booklet is my culinary ode to the Mediterranean cuisine; a collection of flavors and aromas that embody my passion for cooking, intended to inspire or enrich both the experienced chef and the home cook with the simplicity and purity of Mediterranean tastes. Easy recipes, accessible to everyone, and with a broad palette of flavors.Order here
I am Patricia, energetic 40'er, architect, business manager and food blogger. Living in Andalusia but from Flanders - Belgium. Mother of 2 active and creative kids who, together with my husband Geert, form the tasting team of the first order!
Cooking has become a passion. Everything starts with devising an original recipe and that’s when my love for food photography & styling comes across… In my blog you will get to know my healthy Mediterranean fusion cuisine!
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay informed about the latest news and amazing recipes.